Families (2,400 beds, ~160 overflow hotel/motel units)
- 48 Contracted Providers
- Families do not have waitlists to enter shelter, do not have limits on the length of stay, and have extensive appeals processes for denials, transfers, and terminations
Individuals (3,538 beds)
- 40 Contracted Providers (30 provide beds)
- The minimum bed rate is about $25 per bed.
- Service providers who operate night shelters receive funding to cover a predetermined number of beds.
- It costs shelters much more than $25 per bed to operate the shelters.
- Shelters regularly house far more individuals than the number of beds that receive funding, especially in harsh weather.
- An estimated 35% percent of a shelter’s expenses get covered through state funding.